BY DON BANTUM
Okay, so what about worshipping on Sunday rather than Saturday, the traditional Jewish Sabbath? Saturday being the last day of the week, and Sunday being the first day of the week.
Acts 20: 7. On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.
1 Corinthians 16: 2. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.
Colossians 2: 16. Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18. Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
Revelation 1:10. On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,
Paul say's here, not to let ANYONE JUDGE YOU, by what you EAT, DRINK, OR A SABBATH DAY. These WHERE but a shadow of what was to come. But the reality is FOUND IN JESUS. If your in Chist, your not under the law. Christ Jesus is YOUR LIFE. We don't worship, food, drink or day's of the week, we worship the CHRIST, who has come to live in us by faith in HIM, not us and what we are doing or not doing.
Ephisians 2:8. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9. not by works, so that no one can boast.
So if your going to a church some place, and the people there are trying to put you on a guilt trip, "requiring you to abstain from meat, or wine, and telling you, you must go to church on a Saturaday. Your attending church with a bunch of people who as Paul has just explained here are, "PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST CONNECTION WITH THE HEAD". JESUS IS THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH! Those people have lost connection to Jesus and are trying to put you on a guilt trip so they can control YOU, and your MONEY. Don't kid yourself for a minute, its' all about money, and power, not JESUS. And they will also require you to do other ungodly things as well. Do yourself a favor and get as far away from those people as you can.
The early Church Fathers compared the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of circumcision, and in that vein, demonstrated that if the apostles abolished circumcision, then observance of the Sabbath was equally suspect. Look closely at the following:
Galatians. 5: 1. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 2. Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
So the observance of the Sabbath must also be abolished. The early Church wanted to break with Jewish tradition, and worship on the first day of the week, which they deemed to be "The Lord's Day." because Sunday was the day that Jesus rose from the grave. So Sunday today, is as it was for the early Church Fathers, "The Lord's Day."
Mark 2: 27. Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
The Sabbath Day was to be man's day of rest. That's why God gave us the Sabbath day; it was a type of Christ or a shadow of Christ, because Jesus put an end to all religious works of trying to obtain righteousness through self effort. So we, also rest in Jesus, who is our Sabbath, and we rest in Him 24/7/365 days a year.
Hebrews 3: 1. Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess. 2. He was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God's house. 3. Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself. 4. For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything. 5. Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future. 6. But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.
7. So, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you hear his voice, 8. do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert,
9. where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did. 10. That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.' 11. So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' "
12. See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. 15. As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."
16. Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17. And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18. And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19. So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.
Hebrews 4: 1. Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2. For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. 3. Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
"So I declared on oath in my anger,
'They shall never enter my rest.' " And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. 4. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work." 5. And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."
6. It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. 7. Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before:
"Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
8. For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9. There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10. for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
12. For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
14. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin. 16. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
We no longer rest in a specific day of the week; we rest in Jesus Christ the righteous one, where we cease from all our labor, and rest in him alone. And I say to you, rest in the finished work of Jesus, and don't put any faith or confidence in the flesh or anything that can be produced in the flesh. It's all Jesus and none of ourselves, and as Paul declares:
Galatians 5:5. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
We are saved by placing faith in the faithful One, not in our ability to allow some man to baptize us, or our ability to learn how to babble, or by the hard work of showing up at a building on a Saturday, thinking we are doing God a service. God said:
John 6: 28. Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" 29. Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."
Ultimately you're going to have to decide. I hope this was of some value to you, and if you have any questions, be sure and e-mail me.
May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ rest on you all. Amen
Then Jesus told them this parable: 'Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. Luke 15:3-7
Copyright © 2007-2012 All rights reserved. designed by Don Bantum, P.O. Box 1251, Paradise, California 95967-1251- E-mail